Tonight’s WWE RAW opens with a look back at CM Punk and John Cena from last week where Cena issued the challenge for Night of Champions. We see Punk’s attack on Jerry Lawler.
– After the RAW intro video, we’re live from the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Michael Cole welcomes us to RAW and he’s joined by Jerry Lawler. Cole talks about CM Punk attacking Lawler. Lawler takes off his headset and enters the ring.
Lawler talks about what he said at the end of RAW 1000 about Punk. Lawler says he misspoke. Lawler says he apologized to Punk last week but this week, he’s the one who wants the apology. Lawler waits as the crowd chants for Punk. The music finally hits and out comes the WWE Champion.
Punk can’t believe that Lawler wants the WWE Champion to apologize for doing his job. Punk says he didn’t turn his back on anybody and beat the crap out of The Rock because he deserved it. Punk says Lawler turned his back on WWE when he slandered the champion. Punk says he kicked Lawler in his stupid head last week because of his lack of respect. Punk says that’s what he does. He will put down anyone who disrespects him. Punk says he is sorry. He’s sorry that all it takes to get into the WWE Hall of Fame is to beat a bunch of nobodies from Memphis and get in a slapstick with a Hollywood comedian. Punk rips into Lawler some more. Punk says Lawler is jealous because he’s never been WWE Champion. Punk says Lawler finally got his WrestleMania moment and couldn’t beat Michael Cole. Punk goes on and says he’s sorry about the man Lawler has become.
Punk taunts Lawler now and asks him if he wants to fight. Punk says Lawler is just a commentator while he’s the best in the world. Punk says he would embarrass Lawler. Lawler says he came out here for an apology, not a fight. Punk taunts him some more. Punk promises one thing – Lawler will leave embarrassed tonight, either because Punk does it or because he backed down from a fight. Punk tells Lawler to think about it and leaves the ring talking about respect. Lawler says he will think about it and heads back to the announce table. We go to commercial.
Ryback vs. Jack Swagger
Back from the break and Jack Swagger waits in the ring. Out next comes his opponent Ryback.
The bell rings and they go at it. Ryback with a big boot and down goes Swagger. Ryback slams his head on the mat a few times and then slams him on his face. Swagger drop toe holds Ryback and takes him down with a shoulder. Swagger slams Ryback and yells at him. Ryback blocks the Swagger Bomb in the corner and the ankle lock. Ryback takes Swagger to the corner and unloads on him. Ryback drops Swagger on top of his head and works him over on the mat.
Ryback starts the “Feed Me More” chants and hits a big clothesline. Ryback scoops Swagger for Shellshocked and the win.
– Cole speculates on Triple H, who will speak later tonight. Also tonight, John Cena vs. The Miz in singles action. Lawler says he’s still thinking about facing Punk as we go back to commercial.
Natalya vs. Layla
Back from the break and Natalya waits in the ring as WWE Divas Champion Layla makes her way out for a non-title match.
We get a look back at last week where Kaitlyn became the new #1 contender. Before the match can begin, Vickie Guerrero comes out. She says the match needs to be over quickly because she has an important announcement. The bell rings and here we go as Vickie screams some more. They lock up and go to the mat while Vickie watches from the steel steps.
More back and forth action. 2 count for Layla. Layla with a crossbody from the corner for another pin attempt. Layla slams Natalya on the back of her head and hits her with the butt bump. Natalya goes to the floor and catches Layla’s dropkick with the apron. Layla gets tangled in the apron and Natalya works her over. They come back in and she knocks Layla with a shot from behind. Natalya goes for the Sharpshooter but it’s blocked. Natalya comes back in and they go at it. Layla with another roll up. Layla with the kick to the back of the head for the win.
– After the match, Vickie comes in the ring and tells Layla to be gone. Layla stares her down before exiting the ring. Vickie talks about AJ Lee making the Chris Jericho vs. Dolph Ziggler match at last week’s RAW where Jericho had his contract terminated. Vickie isn’t happy about the stipulation of Ziggler’s contract being on the line. Vickie calls it an abuse of power and says it’s unfair. She says nobody on the roster has the guts to speak up to the General Manager except her. Vickie tells the Board of Directors that it’s time to put RAW back in the hands of an adult, someone like her. Not some mentally deranged child like AJ, she says. AJ’s music hits and out she comes.
AJ is all smiles until she smacks Vickie out of nowhere. AJ tackles Vickie and they go at it. Vickie escapes and runs away while AJ looks on and goes back to smiling.
– Cole and Lawler go back to talking about Triple H. We get a video package of Triple H’s days with DX.
– Back from the break and we see footage from last week where Daniel Bryan is in an anger management class. Bryan raises his hand and says he doesn’t have issues like the rest of the losers here. A little kid comes in wearing a goat mask and Bryan gets upset. Bryan says he is handsome and wonders who set this up. Bryan calls the kid a brat and yells at him to take the mask off. It turns out the kid is the teachers kid and is playing a goat in his school play.
– Cole looks at some tweets from actor Dominic Monaghan, tonight’s Social Media Ambassador and star of WWE Studios’ The Day. Cole also shows a tweet from CM Punk where he says he will let Lawler have the first punch if he agrees to fight him. Cole asks Lawler what his decision is. Lawler stands on top of the announcers table and gets a small chant from the crowd. Lawler says the nobodies he beat in Memphis include names like Jesse Ventura, Superstar Billy Graham, Dutch Mantell, Harley Race and others. Lawler goes on and brings up Andy Kaufman. Lawler says he knows he’s not the best in the world but he doesn’t think Punk is either. Lawler says he’s never backed down and he’s not going to start tonight. Lawler says damn right he will fight Punk tonight and the crowd pops. Lawler heads to the back to get ready as we go back to commercial.
John Cena vs. The Miz
Back from the break and out comes John Cena to the ring. Out next comes WWE Intercontinental Champion The Miz.
Cole is by himself on this one as Lawler is backstage getting ready. The bell rings and they lock up. Miz takes Cena to the mat with a headlock. Cena turns it around and takes Miz to the mat now. More back and forth action as we go to commercial.
Back from the break and Miz is in control of Cena. Josh Mathews is now on commentary. Miz avoids an Attitude Adjustment and comes back in to miss a clothesline. Cena runs the ropes and hits the bulldog for a 2 count. Miz makes a quick comeback for another pin attempt. Miz hits the clothesline in the corner and goes to the top for an ax handle shot for 2. Miz with another headlock on the mat.
Cena takes back control but Miz comes back with the neckbreaker for a 2 count. Miz kicks Cena in the face and covers for another pin attempt. Miz with another kick to the face and another 2 count. Miz runs the ropes and Cena catches him in the STF. Miz crawls to the bottom rope and breaks the hold. Miz comes back with another kick and a big DDT for 2. Cena blocks the Skull Crushing Finale but Miz blocks the AA and slams Cena for another 2 count. Cena ducks a clothesline and comes back with shoulder blocks and the big slam. Cena hits the Five Knuckle Shuffle and then the Attitude Adjustment for the win.
Winner: John Cena
– Cole reveals that AJ Lee is letting fans pick the kind of match for Punk vs. Lawler tonight. The Twitter hashtags are #WWETables for Tables Match, #WWECage for Cage Match or WWENoDQ for No DQ Match. We go back to another Triple H video.
– Back from the break. Randy Orton and Sheamus vs. Dolph Ziggler and Alberto Del Rio is announced for later tonight.
– More anger management class with Daniel Bryan. A man shares a story about his boss and Bryan is asked to react. He rants about AJ Lee. The teacher gets a text and the last patient is here. In walks Kane, wearing both of his masks. Kane sits down and that’s about it.
Heath Slater vs. Santino Marella
We go back to the arena and out comes Heath Slater. We see Slater’s Tout talking about how he beat Sin Cara on SmackDown and has a winning streak going now. Out comes his opponent Santino Marella.
Santino does some comedy to start the match. They tangle on the mat and trade air guitar moves. Slater knocks Santino down and takes control of the match. 2 count for Slater. Slater with elbows and knees to the back. More offense and pin attempt from Slater. Slater goes to the second rope but Santino keeps moving. Slater comes over and Santino rolls him up for 2. Santino makes a comeback and drops a headbutt. Santino pulls out the Cobra but Aksana’s music hits and out she comes, distracting the Cobra. Slater tries to sneak up but gets hit by the Cobra for the win.
Winner: Santino Marella
– More hype for Triple H as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and they plug WWE’s new app and the Twitter poll for Cole vs. Lawler.
Brodus Clay and Sin Cara vs. Damien Sandow and Cody Rhodes.
We go to the ring and out comes Brodus Clay with Naomi and Cameron. His partner Sin Cara is out next. Damien Sandow is the next man out. Sandow says he has finally found someone he can partner with and out comes Cody Rhodes. Cody comes out and insults Clay and Cara. We go to commercial.
Back form the break and Rhodes is in control of Cara, going for his mask. Sandow comes in for a bit of double teaming and drops a big elbow for a 2 count. Sandow works Cara over and tags Cody back in. Cara and Cody both go down at the same time. Clay comes in and runs over Cody. Clay with a splash in the corner. Clay with a running powerslam for a 2 count as Sandow breaks the pin. Sandow goes after Clay’s knee. Cara dumps Sandow to the floor. Cara leaps onto the rope and takes Sandow down on the floor. Clay knocks Cody out of the air with a headbutt and splashes him for the win.
Winners: Sin Cara and Brodus Clay
– After the match, Clay dances with Cara, Cameron, Naomi and a bunch of kids in the ring.
– More anger management classes with Daniel Bryan and now Kane. He removes the bigger mask after the teacher asks him to. Kane says he’s the devil’s favorite demon. Bryan says this is a bad idea. Kane tells the story about how he and Undertaker grew up. He talks about some of the infamous stuff he’s done in WWE. The teacher says they should call it a day and for next week, he wants them to make an anger collage. Bryan asks if this is therapy or arts and crafts. Everyone leaves but Kane and one man. He thanks Kane for sharing and tries to hug him. Kane grabs him by his shirt and tells him no problem.
– Bryan is shown walking backstage for a match against R-Truth.
– More hype for Triple H as we go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we get another career highlight video for Triple H.
R-Truth vs. Daniel Bryan
We go to the ring and out comes WWE Tag Team Champions Kofi Kingston and R-Truth. Out next comes Daniel Bryan.
The bell rings and Bryan is trying to play nice and keep his temper in check. They lock up and go to the mat before getting back up. Kofi is on commentary. They lock up again and Bryan takes it to the corner and beats Truth down. Bryan runs into a boot and a clothesline. Truth with a kick to the face and right hands. Truth with a pin attempt now. Truth dumps Bryan out to the floor and comes out after him. Truth grabs the mic and talks to Lil’ Jimmy. Bryan ends up getting into a shouting match with a fan at ringside and counted out.
Winner by Count Out: R-Truth
– After the match, Bryan loses it at ringside and kicks the ring steps. He goes in the ring and throws a fit.
– We go right to a look back at Brock Lesnar defeating Triple H at SummerSlam. Back to commercial.
– Back from the break and they plug the Twitter poll for Punk vs. Lawler some more.
– Justin Roberts is in the ring and he introduces Triple H. The Game comes out in a suit with his arm in a cast.
There are some chants in the crowd and a few minutes before Triple H speaks. He says everyone wants to know if he’s going to retire. The crowd chants no. Triple H says the one thing he has learned in WWE is to never say never. He says when he started his career he wanted to do two tings – do stuff people wouldn’t forget and to retire before all of this before all of this retired him. He chokes up for a second and says everyone comes to a crossroad in their career. He says you ask yourself if it’s time. He says he never wanted to be the guy who was just hanging out, the guy who hung on too long waiting for the nostalgia pop. He didn’t want to be the guy who was too beat up or crippled inside to hold his own kids. He says Lesnar has made him ask the question, is he done? Triple H says the answer is he doesn’t know. He’s beat up and more tired than he’s ever been.
Triple H gets hype and says he wants to say that he’s coming back to kick Brock Lesnar’s ass because that’s what he does. That’s what he wants to do but he can’t. He says the truth is he doesn’t know if he can. Triple H wonders if he’s answered his own question. The crowd chants “you can do it.” Triple H says one thing he can do is thank the fans. Triple H talks about how all the Superstars are here working hard for our entertainment. Triple H goes on and says the fans have got him through everything. He thanks them from the bottom of his heart. Triple H tears up and thanks the fans for letting him play the game. Triple H says he will never forget any of us and gives thanks again before dropping the mic. The crowd stands and applauds him. There’s a “Thank you Hunter” chant that breaks out. Triple H does one last pose, with one arm raised, before walking off. He stops at the top of the ramp and the crowd pops. We go to commercial.
Dolph Ziggler and Alberto Del Rio vs. Randy Orton and Sheamus
Back from the break and we see Dolph Ziggler beating Chris Jericho last week. We go to the arena now and Jericho’s music hits as the light go out. Dolph Ziggler appears instead and mocks Jericho. Ziggler says we will never, ever see Jericho again thanks to him. Ricardo Rodriguez does the introduction for Alberto Del Rio next as he comes in driving a 1963 Mercedes. Randy Orton is out first for his team followed by World Heavyweight Champion Sheamus.
Orton and Ziggler start things out locking up. Orton drops Ziggler with a shoulder and then clotheslines him. Orton with a slingshot suplex. Del Rio comes in but Orton tosses him to the floor. Sheamus leaps from the apron and takes Del Rio down with a shoulder. Orton connects with a powerslam on Ziggler. Ziggler rolls out to the floor as Sheamus and Orton stand tall in the ring. Back to commercial.
Back from the break and Ziggler is in control of Orton. Orton fights back but Ziggler drops him with a knee to the gut for another pin attempt. Del Rio tags in for a bit of double teaming and another pin attempt. Del Rio charges in the corner and Orton moves. Orton with a 2 count roll up. Orton back drops Del Rio over the top and to the floor. Ricardo helps Del Rio back in the ring and he tags in Ziggler as Sheamus comes in. Sheamus unloads on Ziggler and hits a big knee to the face. Sheamus knocks Del Rio off the apron. Ziggler kicks Sheamus in the face and knocks Orton off the apron. Sheamus goes for White Noise but Ziggler rolls him up. Sheamus hits Irish Curse but Ziggler kicks out at 2 as Del Rio breaks the pin. Ziggler goes to use his briefcase after Ricardo slides it in but Orton catches him in the backbreaker. Sheamus hits the Brogue Kick on Ziggler for the win.
Winners: Randy Orton and Sheamus
– Lawler is backstage talking with John Cena about his match against CM Punk. Lawler doesn’t want Cena’s help because Punk will throw it in his face. Lawler says he is facing Punk for himself. Cena wishes him good luck and walks off. We go to commercial.
– Back from the break and we see Kane attacking Josh Mathews backstage at SummerSlam.
Zack Ryder vs. David Otunga
Kane comes to ringside and Mathews gets up from commentary and runs off. Apparently Kane is doing commentary with Cole here. Zack Ryder comes out first followed by David Otunga.
The bell rings and Otunga strikes first. Otunga takes Ryder from corner to corner and beats him around. Otunga with a big clothesline and a running shoulder for a 2 count. Kane still hasn’t said anything on commentary. Ryder starts to make a comeback but Otunga pulls him from the second rope. Ryder hits the Ruff Ryder for the win.
Winner: Zack Ryder
– After the match, Kane goes into the ring and grabs Ryder for a chokeslam. Kane hesitates and lets Ryder go. He then grabs Otunga and lays him out with a chokeslam.
– Punk is shown backstage getting ready for tonight’s main event. Another plug for the Twitter poll before we go back to commercial.
– Back from the break and Orton vs. Ziggler is announced for SmackDown.
– Josh Mathews is in the ring to announce the stipulation for Punk vs. Lawler. The fans have chosen a steel cage match. AJ Lee comes out and says regardless of tonight’s outcome, Punk will defend the WWE Title at Night of Champions against her choice – John Cena. The steel cage is lowered over the ring. We see Lawler backstage walking as we go back to commercial.
Steel Cage Match: Jerry Lawler vs. CM Punk
Back from the break and Jerry Lawler makes his way out to the cage. WWE Champion CM Punk is out next.
Punk starts the match and wants to give Lawler the first punch. Lawler knocks Punk to the mat with a big right hand and shocks him. Punk takes control and hits a neckbreaker before taking Lawler to the mat. Punk continues to beat Lawler up. Punk goes to climb the cage and takes his time. Punk comes down from the top and splashes Lawler in the corner. Punk with a dropkick and more offense on Lawler.
Punk climbs back to the top but Lawler knocks him off. Lawler tries to escape out of the cage door but Punk pulls him back in and drops a series of elbows. Lawler blocks a neckbreaker and shoves Punk into the cage. Lawler makes a comeback and unloads on Punk. Lawler goes to the second rope and pulls his strap down. Lawler connects with the big right hand but Punk kicks out at 2. Lawler goes to escape but Punk stops him. Punk hits the knee in the corner and they both go down. Punk gets up and calls for GTS. Punk instead slams Lawler and applies the Anaconda Vice for the win.
Winner: CM Punk
– Punk is busted open and bleeding. It takes him a few second to break the hold on Lawler. Punk grabs a mic and then a toolbox from under the ring. Punk empties it out and brings a chain in the ring. He chains the cage door shut with he and Lawler inside of it. Punk grabs Lawler and wants him to say that Punk is the best in the world. Lawler says hell no and Punk hits him with a bunch of elbows. Punk declares he is the best wrestler in the world and wants Lawler to say it. Punk mounts him with right hands when John Cena runs out. Cena tries to get in the cage and tells the crew to raise the cage up. Cena yells at Punk that he’s crossed the line and Lawler has had enough. Punk drops knees on Lawler as Cena looks on. The cage starts to raise and Punk rolls out with the WWE Title as Cena checks on Lawler. The crowd boos Punk as he heads up the ramp with his hand in the air. Punk walks to the back and RAW goes off the air with trainers checking on Lawler in the ring.